The wave of smart devices has taken over the world very rapidly. In some way or the other, we all engage with smart devices on a daily basis. Now it’s time for seniors to join the revolution. When looking for a new smart speaker for seniors, take into consideration all the necessary features and specifications along with utility that they require. One smart speaker that has all the features valuable to seniors is the Amazon Echo Show 5.
Based on the vision of combining surveillance and entertainment in one, Amazon Echo Show 5 with Alexa serves as a great help for those who take care of the seniors as well, for example, nurses. Further, let’s dig deep and find out more about this device,
Top Features of Amazon Echo Show 5
Amazon Echo Show 5 offers a lot of competition to the other similar devices in the market. Let’s see what is so special about it.
- Wifi and Bluetooth
The Amazon Echo Show has both Bluetooth and Wifi connectivity for sharing data and playing music over neighboring devices. The wifi of the device does not support connecting to an ad-hoc network.
The Echo Show 5 has a large 5.5-inch wide touchscreen for user interaction and for viewing entertainment content like videos, music, pictures, etc. The large screen makes it easy for seniors with vision and coordination issues to operate the device.
The state of art Amazon Echo Show takes good care of privacy. The features included in the device are wake word technology, the microphone/camera off button, streaming indicators. Along with this, the built-in camera shutter enables us to cover the camera when required. Additionally, the user also has access to delete the voice recordings.
The device is also heavy on the side of accessibility features. It includes the ability to enable closed captioning, screen magnification, color correction and color inversion, and more. These are all of great value to seniors. In addition to this, The voice view screen reader feature of the device enables it to catch user gestures for screen navigation.
- Camera and speaker
The Amazon Echo Show 5 features a 1-megapixel front camera along with 1 (4 watts) speaker.
Primary uses of the Amazon Echo
Besides having all these awesome and incredible features, the Amazon Echo Show 5 also has various uses:
- Automated reminders: Between caregiving, running errands, and other responsibilities, it’s a great relief that Alexa is there to remind seniors what medications to give and when. When it’s time, Alexa chimes out “Here’s your reminder.” and then she repeats twice. Create a one-time or recurring reminder by simply stating: “Alexa, remind me to give enalapril at 4:00 PM”.
- Medical monitoring: If cold or rain make an elderly loved one’s joint hurt, now caregivers can know in advance whether they should reach out for painkillers.
- Daily living: Once the device is linked to an Amazon account, seniors can order drugs or groceries: “Alexa, reorder Cetaphil cleansing bar and paper towels”. This feature can be used by the elderly as well as the caregiver. It is used to turn out the lights. and adjust the thermostat. Last but not least, the elderly can simply call out and tell Alexa to turn on/off the lights or adjust smart home appliance settings.
- Drop-In: one can ask Alexa to “drop-in” to another room in the same house. For example, if granny is in her bedroom and caregiver in the living, the voice assistant in her room can connect to the one in the living room.
- Leisure time: The echo offers a great way for seniors to make use of their leisure time. It can play videos, the users can learn to cook side by side watching. It can read aloud the weather, traffic, and news. The device is best for caretakers as they can listen to music while performing their routine tasks.
- Video calling: Always keep the dear ones close with the help of the video call feature of the Amazon Echo Show 5. Seniors can see and speak with their grand children over live video and audio.
- Device management: With the help of Amazon Echo and Alexa, the caregivers can easily manage the connected devices in the house. The devices can be lights, security cameras, thermostats, etc. all in control with the help of one voice command.
- Alexa: Alexa is a voice recognition system of Amazon devices that has a huge skill set. It comes handy if a caregiver needs help with some problems. For example, asking Alexa about putting on a medical dressing.